Edward Ruiz Mentorship Application Invitation
The Edward Ruiz Mentorship is a mentorship programme, which has been established to help launch the career of a promising photographer. The mentorship awards the recipient with the financial and infrastructural support needed to develop a substantial body of photographic work over the course of a year. On adequate completion of the mentorship, the body of work will be exhibited as a solo exhibition at The Photo Workshop Gallery. The recipient also has the opportunity to work closely with a suitable mentor, who will provide guidance and direction on the intended project.
The recipient, in consultation with the Market Photo Workshop, will identify this mentor to help guide and develop the recipient’s proposed body of work. The mentor is a professional practicing photographer; past mentors have included Jo Ractliffe, Michelle Loukidis and David Goldblatt.
The grant allows the recipient to produce and exhibit a body of work, and will also assist in covering costs related to research, travel, and other supplies.
Applications must include the following:
• A comprehensive CV
• An existing portfolio of 12-20 photographs (As a single PDF file, minimum 150 dpi, no larger than 900×600 pixels)
• 500 words explaining you photographic interests and existing work
• A 1000 word project proposal
The project proposal should address the following areas:
• The focus, meaning and intention of the project
• The importance of the proposed project
• How you intend to manage your project
Selection of a candidate
• A panel of judges appointed by the Market Photo Workshop will participate in the selection process.
• Shortlisted candidates may be requested to come in for an interview.
• The judges need to be satisfied that the selected proposal has merit; that the candidate will be able to manage the project, and that he/she is likely to derive
lasting benefits from the mentorship.
• No correspondence with the judges may be entered into.
• Applications close on Friday 29 July 2011 at 16h00.
• Shortlisted candidates and the successful applicant will be contacted in August 2011.
• The candidate must be able to begin work soon thereafter.
All applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org
A voluntary briefing session will be held at the Market Photo Workshop on Wednesday 6 July 2011 at 13h00. This briefing will cover the application, and proposal writing process. Applicants not residing in Johannesburg are encouraged to contact Molemo Moiloa on email@example.com with any queries.
Thandile Zwelibanzi, the Edward Ruiz Mentorship Recipient of 2010/2011, has produced a body of work entitled Still Existence, to open at The Photo Workshop Gallery on 3 August 2011. Some of the work has also been selected for the 2011 Bamako Encounters Photography Biennale and will be shown in Mali in October this year.
For more information please visit the website at www.marketphotoworkshop.co.za