Joop Swart Masterclass
Nominations for World Press Photo’s Joop Swart Masterclass 2011 are due in this coming Monday on February 14. The Joop Swart Masterclass is run annually by World Press Photo for exceptional emerging photographers.
The 17th Joop Swart Masterclass was held last November and South African photographer, former participant of Joop Swart Masterclass and multiple World Press Photo Award winner, Jodi Bieber, was one of the masters together with Alejandro Castellote. Click here to see interviews with them. The participants also enjoyed a semi-open lecture given by master Antonin Kratochvil.
For the 18th Joop Swart Masterclass the criteria for nomination are:
1. The nominee must be a photographer, working in the field of photojournalism and/or documentary photography.
2. The nominee’s technical, visual and journalistic skills must be of a very high level.
3. The nominee may not be older than 31 years old in November 2011.
4. The nominee must be at a stage in his/her career where he/she is still open to learn new things.
5. The nominee must be able to converse in English.
6. The nominee must be able to send his/her digital portfolio to World Press Photo before April 4th 2011.
In Africa the nomination committee is chaired by Greg Marinovich and includes among others Trevor Davies, Alexander Joe, Benny Gool, Chab Touré, Rui Assubuji, Robyn Comley, John Fleetwood, Simon Njami, Akinbode Akinbiyi and myself. If you know of any young photographers who you believe have the potential to be selected, please don’t hesitate to email me by this weekend (February 12-13), ideally with a link to an online portfolio and the photographer’s contact details.