R350.00 – R18,000.00
The town of Graaff-Reinet in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa was founded by the VOC Dutch East India Company in 1786, being named after the then governor of Cape Colony, Cornelis Jacob van de Graeff, and his wife, whose maiden name was “Reynet”. The town lies 750 metres (2,460ÃÂ ft) above the sea and is built on the banks of the Sunday’s River, which rises a little farther north on the southern slopes of the Sneeuberge, and splits into several channels here. The Dutch Reformed church in the town is a prominent stone building in the high street with seating accommodation for 1500 people. Surrounded by the Camdeboo National Park, Graaff-Reinet, the heart of the Ã¢â¬ÅGreat KarooÃ¢â¬Â Ã¢â¬â Place of Thirst. Graaff-Reinet, the fourth oldest town in South Africa, is recognized as the home of magnificent examples of Cape Dutch architecture, and over 220 heritage sites (more than any other town in South Africa!).